Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Week 6 #15

I read a number of the perspectives on library 2.0 and find that I can agree with parts of all the views. I really like the way Michael Stephens lays out his article: "Into a New World of Librarianship." I see his view of the Librarian as an innovative provider of "goods and services" in the world of information as positive view of our future as librarians. In his view, he sees librarians as informed providers of information and other services but also as frugal, preceptive, trailblazers for future changes in technology. We should not change for change sake neither should we spend money indiscriminately to purchase technologies without regard for future change. Librarians need to be leaders not followers of new trends.

I believe that Stephen's is right about being adaptive and innovative. We have gone through many changes in the last year, many of them very difficult emotionally. After reading these perspectives on 2.0 I have a better understanding of where we are going and why. I still have reservations about some changes but I agree with the need for many others.

No comments: